Thursday, November 13, 2008

People Need the Lord

I went for the prayer meeting in church last night and tonight. I had a great time of praying and fasted 2 meals yesterday and today. It felt good... still feels good. I didn't want to go at all at first because I knew I will be late and I will rushing... yabadi yabadah... =p

But because one of my CG member wanted to go (and I told God that I will only go if any one of CG members is going... hehe... well, I never thought that anyone of them wanted to go) and because she's hurt herself and needed someone to fetch her, I took the God's bait and went. I am really glad I went.

Last night and tonight's prayers reminded me of my passion for mission. Reaching out to the lost, down and out. Going for short time mission trips... I realised after these two meetings that I have grown cold in my passion... in God's calling for me. Throughout the whole year, all I could think of is "where do I want to go for a holiday?" "Where to go diving?" "Where to go trekking?" None of my thoughts were on "where do God want me to go for my short term mission this year?"

We prayed for the those unreached people in the world last night. We prayed for the nations which my church sends short term mission team to... Nepal, Myanmar, China, Cambodia, Thailand... we prayed for our missionaries and those other missionaries. We were informed that certain church in Australia pulled back their missionaries due to financial problems resulting from the economy downturn.

Tonight we prayed for those down and out within our community... the single parents, abandoned children, abused children, orphans, refugees... these are within our reach.

Sidetrack a bit since we are on the issue of refugees... I obtained this information recently - how the Malaysian Government told an NGO to withdraw funds and help for non-muslim children refugees and instead to used their funds just for the muslim children refugees. I don't think this is reported in the news or anywhere in Malaysia. Why did the Malaysian Government do it? So that these non-muslims can be "forced" to convert just for the perks? Is my government this bad? Is this true? But, I guess I shouldn't be surprise. I have heard of similiar reports with regards to refugees as well and also in other states with the dealings of our indigenous friends by local authorities.

Anyway, back to the prayer meeting tonight... we were informed of how a drunkard father beat his child badly. We prayed for these poor families, parents who have unstable jobs and comes home releasing their anger and frustration onto their children. We prayed for the Malaysian government... prayed that government will be transparent, honest and just. We also prayed for other world leaders in other nations especially Barrack Obama.

I am really really glad I went for the prayer meetings (though I missed the first night) because I had the opportunity to pray for Malaysia, the Government, the community, the refugees, foreign workers and students, the world leaders, for the unreached and last but not least... prayed for myself.

We sang this song last night... People Need the Lord. Indeed... how true it is... People do need the Lord. Are we just going to sit back and do nothing? We can pray and knock on the doors of heaven and shake the gates of hell loose... there's a little extra that we still need... ACTION. The problem with so many us is that, we always talk and think of missions and of reaching out... but never do anything. I remembered someone told me that he is doing something by contributing financially to missions. There is this other person who told me... "If God wants money, he sure does not need to ask from us... He's rich enough to support His people. But, what He needs is labourers!" Reflect on that... and on this video...

No comments: